Go paperless with our Treaty of Waitangi Digital reading comprehension resource! Learn about Waitangi Day and the treaty’s history with our differentiated reading passages and questions. This Google Slides resource includes three passages (at two levels) with six unique slides of engaging text-dependent questions and higher order thinking interactive tasks.
In this Treaty of Waitangi Digital resource you will receive:
1. Full instructions on how to use this Google Slides resource, and how to share it with your students.
2. Tips for using Google Slides for teachers AND students
3. Three texts – all with an extended and scaffold version:
- Te Tiriti o Waitangi/The Treaty of Waitangi
- The extended version is a School Journal article provided in PDF form.
- Who was Hōne Heke
- Waitangi Day
These passages are provided as Google Slides and in PDF form. This resource can be used on Chromebooks, iPads, Android Tablets, and other devices!
4. SIX unique Higher Order Thinking Activities based on Blooms Taxonomy and aligned with the CCSS and the NZ Curriculum (20 activities in total)
Reading Comprehension Strategies included:
- Make Connections
- Find Facts and Details
- Make Inferences
- Identify the Main Idea
- Ask and Answer Questions
- Understand and Use Vocabulary
- Make Predictions
5. Teacher Answer Key for applicable questions
We all know how busy the start of the year can be, with regular testing, and the need to establish clear classroom routines. The benefit of this resource is that all the hard work is done for you: differentiated passages, scaffolded higher-order-thinking follow up activities, and tasks appropriate for higher and lower level learners
British English is used throughout this resource e.g. colour.
This Treaty of Waitangi Digital resource would also be suitable for Year Seven and Eight learners as the higher order thinking activities will keep them challenged and engaged!
Why Go Digital and Paperless?
Many classrooms are now 1:1, BYOD, or improving the access of technological devices to students. This resource uses these devices to engage and enhance learning!
Further benefits include:
- High student engagement and motivation
- Access and share learning from anywhere
- Build a skill base with 21st-century learning tools
- Save on paper and printing!
- Accessible on a range of devices including Chromebooks, iPads, tablets and more!
Te Tiriti o Waitangi | The Treaty of Waitangi was signed in different places. The two versions of the Treaty say different things about who would have authority. Māori understandings were based on the version in te reo Māori, which the vast majority of Māori signed.