The purpose of this resource is to explore how Māori experiences with early newcomers influenced their decision to sign the Treaty of Waitangi, the factors that influenced the Crown’s decision to establish and sign te tiriti, and the wider context of the signing of Te Tiriti o Waitangi. Print and digital activities are included.
This Pre-Treaty Year 7-8 resource features:
1. Two texts at two levels (Extended and Scaffold – these are shown with an E or S in the bottom right corner).
2. Perspectives Speech Bubbles Activity
3. Māori Perspectives Reading Comprehension Questions (answers included)
4. British Perspectives Reading Comprehension Questions (answers included)
5. Double-bubble graphic organiser activity
6. The wider context of the signing of Te Tiriti o Waitangi Critical Thinking Questions
Choose how many of the questions you would like your students to answer.
7. Perspectives Hot Seat Drama Activity instructions
8. Show What You Know Task Cards
9. Dig Deeper Task Cards (multimodal learning opportunities)
10. A digital set of activities
Total: 25 pages + 32 digital slides
Aotearoa New Zealand Curriculum Links:
Know: Tino rangatiratanga me te kāwanatanga | Government and organisation
Te Tiriti o Waitangi | The Treaty of Waitangi: background
What factors influenced the Crown’s decision to establish and sign Te Tiriti o Waitangi | The Treaty of Waitangi?
How did Māori experiences with early newcomers influence their decision to sign Te Tiriti o Waitangi?
Explore: the wider context of the signing of TeTiriti o Waitangi | The Treaty of Waitangi.
Interpreting past experiences, decisions, and actions
I can make informed ethical judgements about people’s actions in the past, basing them on historical evidence and taking account of the attitudes and values of the times, the challenges people faced, and the information available to them.
Identifying sources and perspectives
I can use historical sources with differing perspectives on the past, giving deliberate attention to mātauranga Māori sources. I can recognise that the sources may not fully answer my questions, and that my answers are themselves interpretations.