This Sight Words Travelling Mats pack includes 154 Travelling mats – one for each of the NZ Magenta, Red, Yellow, Blue, Green and Orange Levels. Help your students build their sight word fluency while also engaging them in this fun physical activity.
The aim of travelling mats is for children to read each sight word mat, and then to take a step forward. By successfully reading each sight word mat, they will travel around the course.
This encourages sight word fluency while also encouraging physical exercise – great for kinesthetic learners!
Sight word recognition improves reading fluency, allowing the student to focus their efforts on the more mentally demanding task of reading comprehension.
Your students can play this game for homework, during guided reading lessons, as a literacy circle activity or as an early finisher activity.
In this Sight Words Travelling Mats BUNDLE you will receive:
1. Six sets of Sight Word Travelling Mats:
- 20 Magenta Travelling Mats
- 24 Red Travelling Mats
- 28 Yellow Travelling Mats
- 28 Blue Travelling Mats
- 28 Green Travelling Mats
- 24 Orange Travelling Mats
2. An information sheet with links to the New Zealand Curriculum.
Please note: These words have the British/Australia/New Zealand spellings of words, and therefore would be suitable in countries that spell in this way e.g. colour
How do you play?
These sight words travelling mats can be used in a variety of ways. Here is one of many ways to use them:
1. Print and laminate your set of travelling mats. You may choose to use one full set, or to mix two or more sets.
2. Arrange the mats face up to make a “path” on the floor – inside or outside.
3. If a child does not know a word, they must pick up that mat and take it with them to the finish.
4. The aim is to be able to successfully make it around the mat without needing to pick up any mats.
5. At the end of the game, the teacher can revise the unknown words with the student.
The words included in this bundle are: a, at, look, to, in, am, I, is, and, we, here, said, up, it, like, go, can, went, the, my, going, awake, little, looked, away, big, where, safe, hungry, thank you, asleep, goes, down, wake, for, sleep, shouted, come, looking, are, you, not, comes, can, see, this, way, stay, with, back, all, good, coming, they, will, he, help, saw, came, liked, play, again, day, some, she, ran, put, got, have, on, out, made, his, after, I’m, let, can’t, bad, by, outside, find, then, make, get, slow, have, let’s, did, gone, who, new, one, because, but, fast, open, do, opened, me, now, please, very, already, asked, began, behind, didn’t, doing, heavy, laugh, laughed, long, most, middle, other, quickly, right, show, someone, these, try, until, wait, watch, won’t, would, across, along, always, around, better, called, catch, could, cried, don’t, every, from, long, must, next, other, round, school, slowly, something, still, their, there, under, want, wanted, were, what.